Berries andPie

baking, cooking, recipes, eating, and obsessing over food

Monday, October 27, 2008

A Garden's Growing

"Of all the wonderful things in the wonderful universe of God, nothing seems to me more surprising than the planting of a seed in the blank earth and the result thereof."

Julie Moir Messervy

The last two days my husband, Nick, and I had the rare luxury of a weekend at home together. Nick works shifts, swapping between rising before the sun, and finishing long after I should be asleep!

We've been speaking (with the slight possibility of me nagging) of setting up a herb and vegetable garden for a while now. Yesterday's beautiful weather, plus a few too many hours spent watching Jamie at Home on the Food channel prompted us to go ahead and do it.

So off we went to the nursery where we bought pots, plants, seeds and soil, and toiled our afternoon away, finally collapsing, satisfied, with our hands covered in dirt. It felt so honest and real, and I realised how much I've missed the garden. I remember hours of our childhood which we spent planting freesias and digging up weeds. My Grandma showed me how to grow geraniums from clippings, which was an absolute delight!

I'm now eagerly awaiting the fruits of our labours in the kitchen, and can't wait to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment